A Kodiak Firefighter suffered minor injuries while responding to a fire onboard a boat in St. Herman Harbor Thursday morning.
The 32-foot fishing vessel Kahuna, owned by Steven Mathieu, was berthed on the main float near the bottom of Ramp 2 when a fire broke out at a heating stove in its cabin.
Mathieu reported the fire to the Kodiak Harbormaster Office by VHF radio shortly after 10 a.m.
The Kodiak Fire Department responded with one engine and an ambulance. They put the fire out in less than 10 minutes, Fire Chief Rome Kamai said.
"We did put the harbor's portable fire extinguisher in operation," he said.
A firefighter was slightly injured when he slipped into an open hatchway. He was transported for medical evaluation, Kamai said.
Firefighters blocked part of the float during the response.
The Kahuna is still afloat in its berth and Mathieu said the fire was confined to the stove area.
There was no damage to the dock or other facilities, according to the Harbormaster Office.
Personnel from the Coast Guard Marine Safety Detachment in Kodiak were also on scene. There were no other injuries or reports of pollution, Coast Guard spokesman Petty Officer 1st Class Kelly Parker said.
Contact the Daily Mirror newsroom at firstname.lastname@example.org.