Kodiak Daily Mirror - Indian court forbids Exxon Valdez from scrapyard
  
Indian court forbids Exxon Valdez from scrapyard
May 09, 2012 | 55 views | 0 0 comments | 2 2 recommendations | email to a friend | print
NEW DELHI (AP) — India’s Supreme Court has banned the Exxon Valdez from entering India until the ship responsible for one of the worst U.S. oil spills is decontaminated.

A shipbreaking firm bought the vessel to dismantle it, and the ship now known as the Oriental Nicety entered Indian waters last week.

The court order says the erstwhile Exxon Valdez should not be allowed to berth until it has been decontaminated.

Environmental activist Gopal Krishna said Wednesday that state authorities subsequently canceled permission for the ship to anchor near the Gujarat state coast.

The company contracted to dismantle the ship plans to appeal.

The court cited a U.N. convention that calls for decontamination in a ship’s country of export. Mercury, arsenic, asbestos and residual oil can contaminate ship hulls and holds.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
The Kodiak Daily Mirror encourages a lively exchange of ideas regarding topics in the news. Users are solely responsible for the content. Please keep it clean, respect others and use the 'report abuse' link when necessary. Read our full user's agreement.
Search Our Marketplace
or Search by category