Kodiak Daily Mirror - Suspect charged in KHS bomb scare
  
Suspect charged in KHS bomb scare
by Louis Garcia
Feb 09, 2011 | 69 views | 0 0 comments | 1 1 recommendations | email to a friend | print
The 17-year-old suspected of making an Internet bomb threat to Kodiak High School (KHS) last week has been charged with one count each of terroristic threatening and destruction of evidence, Kodiak Police Chief T.C. Kamai said Tuesday afternoon.

Both are class C felonies, with terroristic threatening punishable by a fine of $50,000 and a jail term of up to five years.

The bomb threat at KHS interrupted classes for more than two hours Feb. 1 and resulted in all town schools and the Kodiak Island Borough building going into lockdown.

The threat was an unusual one in that it came over the Internet.

“It was an e-mail message sent from the school to the police department,” Kamai said. “The school district IT department recognized the IP and was able to work it back.”

No bomb was found after a search, and classes restarted at about 11:30 a.m.

This isn’t the first bomb threat.

“There have been (bomb threats before), but not for quite some time at the high school,” Kamai said. “We believe it’s because in the past we’ve been able to identify who’s responsible for doing it and hold them accountable nearly every time.”

Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
The Kodiak Daily Mirror encourages a lively exchange of ideas regarding topics in the news. Users are solely responsible for the content. Please keep it clean, respect others and use the 'report abuse' link when necessary. Read our full user's agreement.
Search Our Marketplace
or Search by category