Kodiak Daily Mirror - Small fire scorches Kodiak apartment
  
Small fire scorches Kodiak apartment
by DAILY MIRROR STAFF
Jul 06, 2012 | 26 views | 0 0 comments | 1 1 recommendations | email to a friend | print
Kodiak and Bayside firefighters respond to a small apartment kitchen fire Thursday afternoon at the Spruce Manor apartment complex on Purtov Street. Only light damage was reported after a grease fire in one unit’s kitchen.
(Bob Himes photo)
view image
A small grease fire occurred in a Spruce Manor apartment on Thursday.

Shortly after noon the Kodiak Fire Department received a 911 call reporting a fire in the bottom unit of a six-unit building at 1212 Purtov Street.

The resident had been cooking on the stove with oil when the fire started, city fire Chief Rome Kamai said.

Three firefighters responded to the fire. After arriving, they noticed light smoke coming from the apartment. The fire had been mostly put out by a cup of water by the time the firefighters arrived.

There were no injuries during the fire, which was contained to the one unit.

The apartment sustained smoke and grease damage to the walls, cupboards, floor and stove. Firefighters estimate the damage to the apartment to be a few thousand dollars.

“People should make sure they have working smoke alarms in homes and rentals,” Kamai said.

Firefighters are still investigating whether there was a working smoke alarm in the apartment.

Contact the Mirror at editor@kodiakdailymirror.com.
Comments
(0)
Comments-icon Post a Comment
No Comments Yet
The Kodiak Daily Mirror encourages a lively exchange of ideas regarding topics in the news. Users are solely responsible for the content. Please keep it clean, respect others and use the 'report abuse' link when necessary. Read our full user's agreement.
Search Our Marketplace
or Search by category